Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Welcome and introduction

Welcome to the Organic Practical Nostalgia blog.  This Blog is dedicated to discussing technical aspects of rebuilding, restoring, refurbishing products for everyday use.  It is a service of Paint Creek Services, in Bainbridge, Ohio.  You can visit our website at www.paintcreekservices.com  You can reach us at info@paintcreekservices.com
I picked the name for specific reasons.  Organic Practical Nostalgia because it implies “buying local”, reusing and refurbishing products that are old and antique.
I have been rebuilding mechanical devices for over 25 years.  From pitcher pumps to, vehicles and  RV/Campers, to antique Mimeographs, I have spent many hours tinkering and tweaking to return items to “as new” status, or even better performance.   I have formal training as an aviation mechanic and have also worked on Diesel engines as a hobby.
For many years I’ve been an advocate for rebuilding rather than buying a new replacement.  I’ve been a do-it-yourselfer for most of my adult life.  I believe in buying quality for a lifetime of use rather than cheaply for the near term use.  Buying local was a concept I learned early in my business career.  That means buying US manufactured where possible to support the local worker, because we’re in this together.  I do buy online from time to time, but for the most part, if I can drive right down the street to one of the local hardware stores, where I get expert advice, I’d rather do that.
I believe in self-sufficiency and sustainability, because when the system fails it is up to each one of us to do what we can with what we have.  My plans are to provide services to my local community with the goal of teaching local consumers various skills to be self-sufficient individuals.
I like the comfort and use of modern luxuries, and believe that technology is great, when it works, but I also believe in hanging on to the knowledge of how things used to work.  Technology that doesn’t work has been a pet peeve of mine for years.  When technology fails, and it always does, it is nice to know what the backup is and how to make it work.

Please make your comments.  I invite constructive criticism, but will not put up with the chattering of one who just wants to blow their own horn.  

1 comment: